The Year is 1919 – One hundred years ago!!!
I don’t know about you, but it seems like the older I get, the more I look at the past. I always find it interesting to see where it is, we are headed and how that stacks up against the OLD days!! What was it like 100 years ago????
The year is 1919 “One hundred years ago.” What a difference a century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1919:
- The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
- Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.
- Only 14 percent of homes had a bathtub.
- Only 8 percent of homes had a telephone.
- The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
- The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
- The average US wage in 1919 was 22 cents per hour.
- The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year.
- A dentist earned $2,500 per year.
- A veterinarian between $1,500 and 4,000 per year.
- And, a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
- More than 95 percent of all births took place at home
- Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as “substandard.”
- Sugar cost four cents a pound.
- Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
- Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
- Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into our country for any reason.
- The Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
4 Heart disease
- The American flag had 45 stars …
- The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30.
- Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.
- There was neither a Mother’s Day nor a Father’s Day.
- Two out of every 10 adults couldn’t read or write and, only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, “Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health!” (Shocking?)
- Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help…
- There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.
I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself.
From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD all in a matter of seconds!
It is impossible to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.
We’ve come a long way….OR have we?
Have an AWESOME weekend!!