No Politics…Just Some Fun Real Estate Trivia P.S. Happy Mother’s Day!!!
“Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
Today, many parents on Vancouver Island are lamenting another rainy day with children home from school enjoying their Pro D day. We know that this election has resulted in a lot of frayed nerves (regardless of which party you voted for), so our McCullough Team wanted to share some fun trivia about real estate.
As well, our McCullough Team would like to thank everyone who was able to join us last weekend for our Client Appreciation Movie Party of Guardians of the Galaxy 2. We had a wonderful time and appreciate all of the love and support from our clients. THANK YOU! Feel free to check out the link to watch our movie party:
Putting together this newsletter, our team surprised to learn a few new things, and hope that you enjoy our trivia. If nothing else, hopefully one fact will appear on Jeopardy and you will astound your friends and family!
1. Monopoly is the most popular board game in the world and has sold over 200 million copies. Did you know that Charles Darrow, the inventor, created Monopoly in 1934 to cheer himself up while unemployed during the Great Depression? THIS JUST IN – Did you know that the iron playing piece has just been replaced in 2013 with a cat instead?
2. Speaking about the game Monopoly, the world’s most expensive Monopoly set was created by San Francisco jeweler Sidney Mobell that boasted 23 carat gold houses, chimneys with rubies and sapphires and dice with 42 diamonds for spots. Did you know that the game was valued at two million dollars?
3. The term “skyscraper” was first used in the 1880s when office buildings of 10 stories or more were built in Chicago and New York. Did you know that skyscraper actually means “a high-flying flag on a ship”?
4. Mongolia has the highest percentage of private housing of ANY country in the entire world. Did you know that 100% of all Mongolian properties are owner-occupied?
5. Celion Dion was recognized as the highest private water consumer in Florida 2 years ago. Did you know that she used 6.5 million gallons of water in a year on her 5.7 acre Florida property, according to a study by the Palm Beach Post?
6. The recession in the US has far-reaching effects on the golf course communities. Did you know that in Myrtle Beach, S.C., a once-booming 70-mile strip of beachfront property nicknamed “Golftown, USA,” has seen the number of golf courses drop from 125 (in 2006), to only 100? In 2010, 140 of the America’s 16,000 golf courses closed, while only 50 new courses opened.
7. According to Feng Shui, the art of home placement, the five elements that are needed to create a happy and prosperous home are: wood, fire, earth, metal and water. Did you know that “feng shui” actually means in Chinese “wind” and “water”?
8. The most expensive “fixer-upper” home listed for sale in 2010 in Canada was located in Haileybury, Ontario, about 140 kilometres north of North Bay. The house sits on 40 acresalong the shores of Lake Temiskaming and it’s about the same size as Bill Gates’s property near Seattle. At a mere $25 million, you can fix up this 65,000 square foot Ontario property for another $1 million! Did you know that the home is far from finished. There’s no flooring, no finished bathrooms and few wall coverings?
9. Considered to be one of the smallest houses in Canada, the “Little House” in Toronto was built in 1912 and is approximately 312 square feet. Did you know that talk show host Ellen DeGeneres even mentioned it in her press tour in 2010?
10. The Bastion in downtown Nanaimo is renowned for its history and is a popular spot for local ghost hunters. Did you know that the Bastion is the location of BC’s very first hanging in 1868 and the unlucky person was actually an outlaw from Butch Cassidy’s gang?
Now that you have some interesting real estate related trivia, please feel free to share it with your friends and family this weekend. Real estate is one of the largest investments your family will ever make, so if you are thinking about buying or selling, get a professional working with you to ensure that you receive sound advice. Please feel free to contact our McCullough Team at 250-751-1223 or email us at email@example.com.
Having access to the real estate facts is critical for every home buyer, home seller or investor. Amazing your friends and family with real estate trivia – priceless!
We look forward to speaking with you. HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!